Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A few cute things

So let's just put it bluntly - I cannot decorate!  It kind of falls under the same category for me as floral arranging - which if you know me is not one of my strong talents :)  None the less, I have this very empty mantle space that was yelling at me to fill it with something.  I looked online for a little guidance as to shape/height of items and placement of said items, gathered a few crafty ideas from pinterest, and off I went, with a fair amount of trepidation I may add  . . . .

I actually LOVE how this sign turned out.  I saw one on pinterest and followed the link only it did not give me a tutorial to or any sort of pep talk about how I too could make this for my home, but to her etsy store where she would love to have me purchase this sign for $149.00 - so off I went with 2 little boys in tow to Home Depot for some wood and paint, Hobby Lobby for some vinyl, and a few hours later (after having a heart to heart with the electric sander), this is how it turned out.  You can't really tell in the pic but the large words are in chocolate brown and the cursive words are in a slate blue. (Side note - I made mine for $20)

The next thing I wanted was this large 'T'.  Again, while wandering pinterest, I saw someone did a wooden letter that was decoupaged with pieces of their marriage lisence.  I thought that would be kind of nice, so went about that plan, only quickly to decide that that was just not going to work out very well.  So I spent the afternoon humming and hawing over what to put on the T, and finally decided on the Family Proclamation.  I don't have one up in my home, and have always kind of wanted to, so it was a good fit.

And with a few framed pics from our Disney trip, some 50% off candle sticks and candles and a few other little finds, I think it turned out OK :)


3 comments:

Christine said...

You're not able to decorate?! Ha! It looks great! You did an amazing job. Keep going. What's next?

Emma said...

super cute! Love the sign, Love the T, love it all!

Genevre said...

You are sush a creative lady!! I love the T too!