Friday, April 8, 2011

He is Risen

I have a pet peeve . . . surprising I know ;). Easter is fast approaching and you go into the store and are bombarded with candy and baskets and bunnies and plastic grass . . . .Our kids come home from school talking excitedly about the easter bunny only to wonder how much candy they might magically receive :) So many kids get a new Sunday outfit and get all dressed up for services on Easter Sunday . . . .But how many of us take the time to focus on, like we say at Christmas, the 'reason for the season'. The death and resurrection of our Savior is the most compelling life changing and powerful lesson that we can teach to our children and I hope that we all take the time to sit with our little ones to teach them the good news of the gospel. I am always amazed at how even small children can understand such spiritually powerful concepts as the atonement and life after death.

Anways, in an effort to embrace the gospel during this easter season, I loved my project and wanted to share . . . .

I started with this as my inspiration. The pink tree is a little to . . . pink . . . .for me, but I thought the concept was really good.


Here is what I started with:
My new favorite goodie from the craft store - this stuff is FANTASTIC :)
Here are my finished eggs waiting patiently for me to put them somewhere :)
Ta Da!



Inside each of the 12 eggs is a surprise and a corresponding scripture that symbolically and scripturally walks through the trial, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We are going to read one each day, with the last on Easter morning:
  1. A miniature paper or plastic cup, Matthew 26:39
  2. 3 dimes, Matthew 26:14-15
  3. a piece of rope, Matthew 27:1-2
  4. A small piece of soap, Matthew 27:24-26
  5. red fabric, Matthew 27:29-30
  6. a nail, Matthew 27:31-32
  7. dice, Matthew 27:35-37
  8. several small rocks, Matthew 27:50-52
  9. white piece of cloth, Matthew 27:58-60
  10. one large stone, Matthew 27:60, 65-66
  11. sweet spices (i.e. cloves), Mark 16:1, Matthew 28:2, 5
  12. (leave this one empty), Mark 16:6

4 comments:

Mason Family said...

Love it! :) We too are so sick of all the commericalism surrounding easter and have opted for a family "gift" and to do away with baskets loaded with stuff that we don't need. We figure if we focus on the things that make us an eternal family then we certainly can do it with a family gift. Love your wreath!

Genevre said...

What a great idea. My kids have known from day one that the easter bunny doesn't exist. I bring out the baskets adn they are filled with church gifts...like ties, new quiet toys for church, pictures of Christ for their rooms, or new journals. I think your wreath looks really great!

BrendaB said...

Not to sound repetitive, but I like your Easter Eggs in the carton idea. May I "borrow" your ideas to send a carton to my grandkids? I'm a long distance Grandmama to eight GRAND children three states away.
Thanks for sharing the ideas with us.

Jeul said...

This is so awesome. I was searching for an alternative way to celebrate Easter this year for all of the reasons you mentioned. My kids are a little older and don't really need an easter basket anyway but I wanted to do something eastery and fun for them. I am totally stealing this idea. Thank you :)