Friday, April 15, 2011

Yummy!

I used a new recipe a couple of nights ago for chicken enchiladas and it was soooo good! All of my kids ate it, I loved it, and I had lots of filling leftovers to freeze for next time :) So here it is:

Shredded Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups enchilada sauce (I used mild)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 4 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
  • 1 cup parsley or cilantro, chopped (I HATE cilantro so used the more mild parsley)
  • corn tortillas
  • cooking spray
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  • Add the minced garlic to the enchilada sauce in a large deep skillet and heat to boiling.
  • Generously sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and nestle them into the sauce.
  • Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until cooked through (20-25 minutes).
  • Remove the chicken from the sauce, set aside, and let both the sauce and the chicken cool.
  • Once cooled, shred the chicken and transfer to a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 cup of the cooled enchilada sauce, 2 cups of the cheese, and the chopped parsley or cilantro. Stir to combine.
  • Coat a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
  • Warm up the tortillas in a microwave (to make rolling easier).
  • Spoon some filling into each tortilla and roll, placing in the greased pan seam side down.
  • Lightly spray the rolled tortillas with cooking spray or brush with olive oil (this will help the tortillas turn golden in the oven and also help to keep them from cracking).
  • Place the baking dish in the oven, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes, or until the tortillas begin to turn golden brown.
  • Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Remove the baking dish from the oven. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle with some chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
  • Lightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
  • Remove the foil and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden.
  • Remove from the oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.


3 comments:

Jeul said...

I can't wait to try this. I'm trying to clean up my diet a little bit so I'm looking for lots of good chicken recipes instead of beef. I'm putting these ingredients on my shopping list and I'll let you know how it turns out :)

J.L.Decker said...

This looks deadly! I'm totatly going to give this one a go! Thanks!

kaida said...

Looks like a great recipe that I need to try!

(my blog....dolce vita)